Sunday, December 6, 2015

Christmas Tree Lighting

Last year we went to the Christmas Tree Lighting Festival in Camas. We weren't Camas residents, so we felt a little out of place. I remember showing up an hour early in order to get a parking spot and the traffic was crazy.

This year it was much different different story because now we actually live in Camas just a block away from downtown. The tree lighting was at 6:30 and we got to walk out our door at 6:25. It's crazy how much changes within one year!

with our friends, the Pratts

The festival had live music, free hot chocolate, and of course the giant Christmas tree! The mayor gave a speech, we counted down from ten, and then the tree was lit! And this year they brought out a special surprise . . . fireworks! I didn't record it, but my friend Christina did. You can watch it here. 

The next day I spent the entire morning/afternoon at the annual Heppler chocolate making event! All of the Heppler women (my mother-in-law's side) got together to dip homemade chocolates. Grandma Heppler makes several different flavors of fondant, 10 pound bricks of chocolates are melted down, the fondant is rolled into balls, dipped into the chocolate, and then topped off with a nut or candy. There is a lot of work that goes into it. I have progressed from topping the chocolates to rolling the fondant (ha I'm moving up in the world!) Maybe one day I'll be trusted enough to be a dipper!


hundreds of chocolates ready to be boxed up!

It really is beginning to feel like Christmas! And for the first time ever, I have actually finished all of my shopping well before the 25th, which is truly a miracle. All of the gifts are wrapped and sitting underneath our tree :) Christmas is only 19 days away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a message!