Friday, November 11, 2016

Trek 2016

It's a three day weekend and I am trying to get all caught up. During my summer blogging sprees I briefly mentioned that Brodie and I participated in the youth trek for our church. I didn't say much because I hadn't received any of the pictures back. Then when I finally got them, I had to sort through 5,000 pictures (literally!!) Now I have them and can finally share more about it. Be warned. . . there are a lot of pictures :)

For me, this was my second trek experience. I went when I was 18 years old with my church youth group. Brodie did not go on trek in his teenage years, so this was his first time around. He wasn't thrilled, but I told him it would be a blast. It was definitely dusty, difficult, and discouraging at times, but it was well worth it!! And I think the kids totally won over Brodie's heart :)

The purpose of trek is to help the youth of the church understand/appreciate the many miles that our pioneer ancestors trekked across the plains in order to escape religious persecution. Church youth from ages 14 - 18 recreated this experience by hiking through the wilderness dressed in pioneer clothing and pull their belongings on a hand cart. Trek was 3 nights and 4 days. We slept outdoors, cooked our own food, and survived "mobs" and "illnesses".  My favorite part was bonding with the youth and seeing them disconnected from technology and the modern world. We danced, sang songs (endlessly), solved riddles, and played all sorts of team games. It was amazing to see the bonds created in just a few short days. An article was written about our trek and published in The Columbian which you can read here.

Day One (8 miles): packed up the cart, "heartbreak hill", silent mile, and setting up camp

first morning before all the trekkers arrived

loading up the handcart

 first family pic (Brodie and I are on the left)

and we're off!


lunch break 

"heartbreak hill" 
Trek leaders came around to each group and asked for volunteers to participate in something hard. Every kid who raised their hand was then taken and had to sit and watch as the rest of the group pulled the handcart up a very steep hill. Our family was left with only 4 out of the 10 kids, one of which had a broken arm and couldn't pull. Just the three of them got up the entire hill (barely). 


The hill was so steep the cart handles were above their head. Brodie and I had to pitch in a little so the cart wouldn't go backward down the hill. 

almost there! I wish we had a picture of making it to the top . . . our kiddos did an amazing job!

The last mile was the "silent mile". During this mile we were asked to not talk and to think about people in our lives that we could serve. This part of the trial was through a blackened forest. While it was very eerie, it was cool to see the new growth that had come in after the fire. 

After a long day, we finally made it to camp! Isn't it gorgeous??

Brodie was away the first night of setting up camp. He was with his bluegrass band playing a concert for the other trek company. Which meant that I was left alone with my 10 "children" to set up camp! The boys set up the makeshift tent in the background out of tarps, while the girls got started on dinner.


refilling water

enjoying a stew dinner!

Day Two (6 miles): surviving "illness" and bluegrass band concert 

lots more walking

Day two had lots of rough terrain. There were even parts where the youth had to remove fallen trees from the path

"Illness" struck our family on day two. Trek leaders visited each family and tapped family members on the shoulder. These members were labeled as "sick" and were pulled to the back no longer able to help with the handcart. 

Haha and this is what it looks like when we reach camp. Everyone heads for the shade and doesn't want to move. . . 

bluegrass band concert 
you can't see Brodie in the picture, but he was the drummer in the band


 lining up for the hoe down



Day Three (6 miles): more walking, service walk, and devotional with the other company 


There were 28 families on trek. Because there were so many, we were split into two companies. We did not even see the other company until the third day. The other company was "mobbed". They went for a day hike, and when they came back all of their stuff had been taken. This company was told that they would have to sleep without their sleeping bags and go without food. While they were dealing with this, our company came across all of their "stolen" handcarts. Each family from our company took on an extra handcart in order to bring all of the supplies to camp. At first it was easy, but as the miles wore on, it became quite a struggle. It was a sweet reunion when we found the other company and were able to give them their supplies back! 

everyone back together again!

dinner 

games

devotional

Day Four (3 miles): crossing the "finish line"! 

all packed up and ready to finish the trek

bird's eye view 

this perfectly describes how we felt by the end of the trek :) 

last family picture

finish line!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a message!